maybedog

S.H. Allan
Cuddling

Review: A Reason To Believe by Diana Copland

A Reason To Believe - Diana Copland

Detective Matthew Bennett doesn't believe in ghosts. So when the spirit of a murdered child leads him to her body, he's shaken to the core--and taken off the case. Unable to explain his vision, or to let go of the investigation, Matthew turns to renowned medium Kiernan Fitzpatrick. Though he has doubts about Kiernan's claims to communicate with the dead, Matt is nevertheless drawn to the handsome psychic, who awakens feelings he thought were long-buried.

Haunted by the lingering spirit of the little girl, Kiernan is compelled to aid in the search for her killer. The chance to get closer to the enigmatic Matt is an unexpected bonus. Although Kiernan's been betrayed by people who turned out to be more interested in his fame than in himself, with Matt he's willing to risk his heart. As the two men grow closer, Kiernan helps Matt rediscover that life offers no guarantees--but love offers a reason to believe...

This was a wonderful story, the type that the adrenaline junkie I am just can't get enough of. It had a disconcerting start because the plot is based on an ill-disguised version of the Jon-Benet Ramsey murder down to the fact of it happening late Christmas Eve/early Christmas Day. But the scenes were well done, and it worked for me. The funeral and the scenes leading up to it worked so well, I actually teared up at points.

I also found myself with wet eyes when Matt thought about his partner who died. I really dislike the widower stories. It's not as common as novels would have us believe, nor is the horrible ex who destroyed the main character. I wish authors would pen more stories where there's an ex that's just that, an ex with whom life just didn't work. But this one somehow worked for me. It fit with the theme of the novel.

The novel evolved into a suspense thriller, with action, drama, danger, fear, and all that. The pacing was excellent as was the distribution of thrills and down time. The book was fun and exciting and I desperately wish there were a sequel. The characters were interesting and complex, including the women, something that is often lacking in this genre. I particularly liked Matt's shrewd sister in law, Sheila. Her banter with Matt was very realistic as well as entertaining. Her comments about her husband were quite amusing as well and not to be taken seriously as her love for him was obvious.

It didn't hurt the book at all that there was some hot sex. There was a very hot sex scene which involved dry humping. It was smokin', I swear. Matt and Kiernan also found ways to compliment each other during sex that were slightly different than the standard fare.

There were some minor details that bothered me that perhaps should have been addressed. For example, Matt didn't wear glove or wrap his hand before touching things at the scene of the crime. He also had condoms on hand even though he hadn't been sexually active in a VERY long time. There were also an occasionally physical impossibility like one MC opened his mouth and in the next sentence opened his mouth again. Another was when they were having sex "doggy style" and referred to the top's balls hitting the bottom's ass.

The random t-shirts with funny quotes isn't a unique idea, but it never fails to amuse me. Although I'm sure it's an old joke, one of my favorites in this story was "I'm Not Short, I'm Fun-sized." I need one. My absolute favorite, though, was one with a police car on the front that said, "The Police Never Think It's As Funny As You Do." I know a number of teenagers who would find that hilarious. I guess I'm less mature than I thought I was.

This book was so good, I'm adding it to my M/M favorites shelf. I highly recommend it. Now I'm off to see what else this author wrote.