maybedog

Cuddling

Driftwood

Driftwood - Harper Fox Quick update at bottom
------------------------

The cover is ridiculous. Both guys are in their late twenties to thirties at least. That kid is barely legal.

Anyway, I have few complaints about this. One is that a surfboard appears out of the blue. (The guy can barely walk and is being helped and then a little while later has his surfboard next to him.) Someone did something that got other men killed and yet he claims all the wives, partners and families were kind to him and didn't blame him. Right.

I like that Tom tells Flynn that he won't mess around with him if he's still involved with his last lover. I like that when Flynn later tells him that it's really over, that he's left the man, part of Tom knows Flynn is lying. He has sex with him anyway, convincing himself for the moment it's true. I don't even blame him because he already knows that Flynn's ex is such a horrific person and believes that Flynn is with the guy because he has no choice.

But basically, this is typical Harper Fox with lots of danger and suspense, fear and love, angst and more angst. The men are real, though, and their angst is very realistic given what they've been through. Although in the real world, their relationship would be dangerously close to being codependent, that doesn't happen. They are an adorable couple and I really wanted them to be happy.

Of course there's a great dog in here, and her intelligent antics are actually not that far outside of reality. I've heard stories that fit everything she does.

In short, this was everything I look for in a book and everything I've come to expect from Fox.

Update 4/15/2013:

I forgot to add that I had a soundtrack in my head for this book. Okay, a song, not a full soundtrack, but still, it felt like the book to me. It's Demons by Imagine Dragons, my current "most into" band. (That differs from Favorite Band a title which is held by Muse.) Here are the lyrics:

"Demons"

When the days are cold
And the cards all fold
And the saints we see
Are all made of gold

When your dreams all fail
And the ones we hail
Are the worst of all
And the blood’s run stale

I want to hide the truth
I want to shelter you
But with the beast inside
There’s nowhere we can hide

No matter what we breed
We still are made of greed

When the curtain’s call
Is the last of all
When the lights fade out
All the sinners crawl

So they dug your grave
And the masquerade
Will come calling out
At the mess you made

Don’t want to let you down
But I am hell bound
Though this is all for you
Don’t want to hide the truth

No matter what we breed
We still are made of greed

It’s where my demons hide

They say it's what you make
I say it's up to fate
It's woven in my soul
I need to let you go

Your eyes, they shine so bright
I want to save their light
I can't escape this now