maybedog

S.H. Allan
Closure
S.H. Allan
Cuddling
Unshapely Things - Mark Del Franco I loved this book. It was a little slow paced in the beginning but that was fine because del Franco set up a complex world mostly by showing rather than telling. It started as an urban fantasy police procedural and it was well done. About halfway through the real action started and I couldn't put it down.

I love the main character. He's complex and I like the idea that he is disabled for someone of his race. He isn't so by our standards but he can't live in our world as we do. He is very much crippled and it's heartbreaking as we are shown rather than told. He doesn't whine but we see how it shattered him as he struggles with it day after day. The loss of his abilities was the loss of his world.

He and the other characters were very real to me and three dimensional. I particularly felt the reality of the two boys in love struggling to survive on the streets. The best part for me is that there was no sexism at all. None. Women could be attractive or not and there wasn't any of the feeling that the writer was picturing the women as they would look in a graphic novel. The men and women were equally strong and all the characters complex. I also like the concept of bigotry both between humans and all the fey as well as between each race of the fey. I really believed this world the author built and I'm eager to read the next one.