maybedog

S.H. Allan
Closure
S.H. Allan
Cuddling
Laurel Heights - Lisa Worrall I just, I'm not, I don't even know what to say. I'm going to write the review for the book up until the epilogue first:

This was exactly what I was looking for: a good cop story, with intense love, danger, a killer who really wasn't obvious until the end (even though I thought it fairly predictable, I wasn't sure at all who the killer was). The pace was excellent, I couldn't put the book down. Usually I'm checking regularly to see how much longer a book was, but I pretty much forgot to even check as I read.

There were a few tropes that annoy me, like how fast the trial happens and is over, the overly touchy-feely gay men, the ease with which they get into and are accepted by the community, how easy it is to just buy a house and move in a week after you're accepted and it's fully furnished, etc. But I accept the creative license with these.

The characters were mostly interesting and not black and white for the most part. Brent was actually complicated and interesting. There were two women who were important and strong and smart. I loved them. The captain was grumpy but he was also a great guy and not hiding it. I really hate the trope of the angry police captain with the heart of gold. This wasn't like that.

The two guys were really sweet and cute, and while they were both blinder than an eyeless shrimp, their misinterpretations do make sense most of the time. I really like that it's two closeted gay guys and not the GFY, which I hate. Plus, the sex was really hot.

There's lot of action and enough danger and intrigue that it worked for me, and I'm pretty demanding, sick fuck that I am. I was going to rate it 4.5 stars plus one because the author got that the expression is "if you think such and such, you have another think coming." Most people get that wrong and it's a huge pet peeve of mine, so kudos to her.

THEN I read the epilogue which just pissed me off. There better be a sequel and this not like some horrible horror novel that leaves you hanging just to keep you scared. The only good thing about it is that it cleared up a plot hole: One of the characters is seen to have horrible bruising on his lower back but it's never addressed again. I'm sure that's who's being talked about. But it doesn't make any sense because the bad guy kept saying that the victim was the only one.

So as not to scare you, I'll tell you that the epilogue doesn't have anything to do with the MC's romance.

So now I'm thinking of rounding my 4.5 stars down because of that. But then I think that if I knew for sure there would be a sequel, I wouldn't round it down. So I'm going to be nice and keep it rounded up to five stars.